Things have moved on considerably in the last few weeks.
I was interviewed for a Horizon CHI (Computer Human Interaction) PhD at Nottingham University two weeks ago. I did well to be shortlisted against stiff and much younger competition (average age 25). From the get go though it obvious that my interests were not aligned with CHI and secondly that I would not be able to work with their new corporate partners. I pitched my application to their older local community arts led model. No point crying over spilt milk….marked the end of my involvement in any kind of contemporary web/internet/computer relatedresearch.
What it did do was focus me on to what I do have an interest in and this Book proposal and possible PhD more firmly located within the Arts and Humanities area.
Here is a very rough outline of what the book may cover.
All dates and ideas provisional in the extreme :
An original provisional title from 2010
TRACKING TIME; ART, TECHNOLOGY AND UTOPIA IN ENGLAND 1850-1950?
Proposed chapters .
Intro: Chalk Detonators to Concorde – The coming of the railway to the end of the line?
1. Dickens and Seymour. Railways and Illustration
2. Mr Fox Talbot and Mrs Dann: Reading’s First Female Professional Photographer and the Inventor of the calotype process.
3. Alexander Mann and the sequential image.
4. Fairground Kinemas and William Frith – Mapping Oxford a psychogeographical derive
5. Industrial film the art of industry in the Thames Valley – Rural Unions and the Co-Operative movement to Cowley Motors .
6. Rural Idyll: The Oxfordshire Railway Villages and Art Movements Blewbury, Long Wittenham and the Cotswolds.
7. Rural Presses and reactions to Modernism and Technology: Kelmscott, Cockerel Press and Communism.
8. Shooting Europe: The Spitfire Reconnaissance mapping of Germany from Beconsfield Aerodrome.
9. Atoms and Stars: The disintegrating world seen from Harwell and the DNA shuffle.11. Building the 60s Oxford and Abingdon – The Mini and The MG. The patriarchical machine.
Coda . Satellite of Love: Space -race to Boom-bust and the end of empire. Trickle down and the rise of the web..Bletchley Park to Cheltenham. News from Nowhere to News from Everywhere.
I also have a facebook page which may come in useful for future crowdfunding if I need to go down that road..or track:-)