All dates and ideas provisional in the extreme :
An original provisional title from 2010
TRACKING TIME; ART, TECHNOLOGY AND UTOPIA IN ENGLAND 1850-1950?
Proposed chapters .
Intro: Chalk Detonators to Concorde – The coming of the railway to the end of the line?
1. Dickens and Seymour. Railways and Illustration
2. Mr Fox Talbot and Mrs Dann: Reading’s First Female Professional Photographer and the Inventor of the calotype process.
3. Alexander Mann and the sequential image.
4. Fairground Kinemas and William Frith – Mapping Oxford a psychogeographical derive
5. Industrial film the art of industry in the Thames Valley – Rural Unions and the Co-Operative movement to Cowley Motors .
6. Rural Idyll: The Oxfordshire Railway Villages and Art Movements Blewbury, Long Wittenham and the Cotswolds.
7. Rural Presses and reactions to Modernism and Technology: Kelmscott, Cockerel Press and Communism.
8. Shooting Europe: The Spitfire Reconnaissance mapping of Germany from Beconsfield Aerodrome.
9. Atoms and Stars: The disintegrating world seen from Harwell and the DNA shuffle.11. Building the 60s Oxford and Abingdon – The Mini and The MG. The patriarchical machine.
Coda . Satellite of Love: Space -race to Boom-bust and the end of empire. Trickle down and the rise of the web..Bletchley Park to Cheltenham. News from Nowhere to News from Everywhere.